Nigeria has lost over 90% of its rainforests and more than half of the remaining 10% is found within Cross River State. These forests, along with those in Southwest Cameroon, which include Rhoko, are collectively known as the “Cross River Rain- forests”, and are regarded as one of Africa’s 5 forest biodiversity hotspots. The unique nature of Cross River tropical forest is due in part, to its high annual rainfall of over 4,000 mm and relatively short dry season. Consequently this forest is classified as the only true evergreen rainforest in Africa. Of the 6,000 plant species that grow in these forests, many are unique to this part of Africa and as many as 200 species have been recorded from a single 0.06 ha plot, a diversity matched only in exceptionally rich sites in South America.
These include 132 tree species listed by the World Conservation Monitoring Centre as globally threatened.